Special Scientist Position (Researcher)
Title : Special Scientist Position (Researcher)
Positions : One (1)
Category : Employment with a twelve (12) month contract
Place of Work : University of Cyprus, Nicosia
Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications in order to fill one (1) research position at the Computer Architecture Lab in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Cyprus, to conduct research related to “Power Management for Modern Servers in Data Centers". The position is fully funded for twelve (12) months, with the possibility of an extension. Eligible candidates will also have the option to enroll in the PhD program in the Department of Computer Science.
The project «PDC» covers a wide range of topics related to power, microarchitecture and system software of a modern server running cloud applications. The project is in collaboration with the Huawei Research Center Zurich.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Conducting experimental research on computing systems.
- Collection and analysis of experimental results.
- Code and script development.
- Bibliographical review of the current literature.
- Writing articles for publication in conference proceedings and scientific journals.
General qualifications & requirements:
- Bachelor's degree and/or postgraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering) from an accredited institution.
- Experience in topics relevant to Computing Systems and Computer Architecture
- Excellent programming skills (e.g., C, Python, Bash, assembly x86/ARM)
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English language.
- Experience and/or participation in European and/or other funded research projects
- Previous publication record in technical conferences and journals
- Organizational skills (e.g., supervising students, proposals preparation)
- Experience with monitoring tools: SoC Watch, perf and vtune
- Experience with user facing cloud applications and microservices
- Experience with power delivery, frequency governors and idle governors
- Experience with heterogeneous memory systems, including non-volatile memory
Terms of Employment:
The monthly gross salary is estimated at €1600-2500, commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate. From this amount, employee contributions will be deducted. There is no provision for 13th salary.
- A complete curriculum vitae in English.
- A cover letter declaring their interest in their position as well as their preferred date for commencing employment
- Brief review in English of research/academic work, as well as a brief description of future scientific plans (up to 2 pages).
- Proof of their qualifications (Copies of degrees and transcripts)
- The names and contact information of two people who will be willing to provide references
- Complete contact information
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU). Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 30th September 2022, at 23:59, which will be the closing date of submission of the applications.
Applications will be evaluated until the position is filled or until the closing date, whichever occurs first. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
The University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus (UCY), the largest in the country, is a public institution established in 1989. Despite its brief history, UCY is internationally recognized for its active research community. UCY ranks in the 1st place amongst institutions from all WIDENING countries in secured funding from H2020 in absolute terms.
This position involves supervisors and experts from the Department of Computer Science. The Department of Computer Science has experienced significant growth over the last few years with strong groups in artificial intelligence, computer architecture, computer networks, data management, graphics and virtual reality, internet computing, software engineering and theoretical computer science. The Department offers a Bachelor degree in Computer Science with 7 different specializations as well as a number of Master degrees and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science. The Department has a strong research infrastructure comprising highperformance clusters and storage area networks, cloud computing facilities, smart-phones and sensing devices and virtual reality equipment. Since 2005, the Department has been involved in more than 160 research projects funded from both the European Union and the Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation with total funding of over 21.5 million euros.