Thirty (30) places for the Interdepartmental MSc postgraduate programme in “Data Science” of the Faculties of “Pure and Applied Sciences” and “Economics and Management”, with three specialization tracks: Computer Science, Statistics, and Business Analytics.
The Programme was recently certified by the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education, and will accept its first students in September 2021. The goal of the MSc in Data Science Programme is to provide in-depth understanding of data science and business analytics, and to help students become scientists and/or executives capable of supporting businesses, organizations, and research institutions with their data science needs.
More information about the programme, including the detailed curriculum will be available at www.datascience.cy in March 2021.
The programme is offered by the departments of 1) Computer Science, 2) Mathematics and Statistics and 3) Business and Public Administration in English. The programme’s duration is 1.5 years (90 ECTS).
The minimum qualifications required in order to apply, are:
- A recognized University Degree in a related field (Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, Business, Physics) from an accredited Institution with a GPA of at least 6.5/10. If the degree is not yet available during the application process, the student must submit it before the start of classes in September.
- Proof of very good knowledge of the English language (test results and/or certificates obtained; the certificates that demonstrate proficiency in English can be found at the following Web site: https://www.ucy.ac.cy/graduateschool/en/admissions/admission-requirements). This is not necessary for applicants who received their degrees for programmes taught in English.
Additional academic criteria required in order to apply, are:
- Successful completion courses in Probability, Statistics or Econometrics and fundamental Mathematical courses (e.g., basic calculus, linear algebra, etc)
- Successful completion courses in Computer Science (e.g. programming principles in Python, R, etc)
Applications are evaluated by the Committee of the Postgraduate Program, which proposes recommendations to the Councils of the respective departments, which are responsible for the final approval of students admitted. Candidates are ranked according to the following scale: (1): not acceptable, (2): acceptable under certain conditions (conditional offer), (3): acceptable.
Submission of applications:
Applications can be submitted electronically using the online application system http://ucy.ac.cy/postgraduate_appl_en by Friday, 3th April 2021 until 12 noon.
The applications should include the following:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Certified copies of University degrees or confirmation of graduation (Admitted candidates will need to submit the certified degrees along with the acceptance of the offer to the University of Cyprus before their registration).
- Copies of Transcripts for all programmes of study graduate and undergraduate.
- A brief statement of personal goals and research interests (up to 2 pages).
- The names and emails of at least two (2) referees (University Professors) familiar with the candidate and his/her academic performance. Candidates should request letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the University. The Evaluation committee may request additional confidential information from referees. The reference letters are electronically submitted through the online application system.
Admitted candidates will be required to submit copies of degree certificates officially certified by the Issuing Authority.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their application has successfully been submitted. Upon successful submission, the candidate will receive an automated confirmation e-mail.